7 Tricks to Smarten Up Your Home Office June 10 2016, 0 Comments
The idea of working from home always sounds awesome. That is, until you find yourself stuck on the kitchen counter, typing away as you wait for the baked potatoes. Or perhaps settle on a couch as the kids watch television. While freelancing allows you to get the best of both worlds--home and work--you don't want to be distracted. Our minds can only handle so much, and juggling between a client and your house chores can be inefficient. This is why you need a home office to keep other errands at bay, until you are ready to step out of that door.
Designing a home office doesn't have to be complex, or even expensive. You can build a functional interior that whets your creativity without using too much space and furniture. From desks to industrial lighting, you can invest on objects that will help you look and feel professional, even while at home.
1. Find a quiet location. The first thing you need to do is to search for that special corner of the house where you can work quietly, without distractions. A spare room would be awesome, but there are many alternatives: a hallway station, the attic, the basement, or even in your garage or patio!
2. Every square foot counts. Bigger is better, but that doesn't mean smaller won't do any good. If your only available space is a corner by the window, or a small area by the stairs, make the best of it. When using less space, maximize vertical possibilities. Invest on desk with shelves and cabinets. Use a small chair instead of a bigger cushioned couch.
3. Cut the clutter. How to save more space? Avoid the junk. Get your office supplies organized. Store files smartly by labelling them properly. Always remember that a clean space is a creative space.
4. Find the right colours. You want your home office to speak loudly about you, as a brand, and as a business. Choose a colour palette that makes you feel inspired and imaginative. Light, neutral colours are easy to work with. Dark, moody colours are great for editors and business owners who has their own style flavour. Artsy desks are often bombarded with mood boards and pictures, and look great on white palettes.
5. Lift it up with lighting. Light works like magic. With the right item, you can turn a place from drab to fab. When it comes to home offices, desk lamps are widely preferred. Among the favourites: The industrial table lamp and a chic task industrial lighting which can be attached on the edge of the desk. Pendant lights are also much sought after.
6. Invest on double-function pieces. A side table that doubles as a crate? A desk which can be extended when desired? A pegboard for your post-its, pictures and tools? Awesome! Other than its decorative properties, choose objects that can also function in many different ways. This helps you maximize the space in your home office.
7. Think green. Breathe some life into your home office by adorning your desk space with little plants. Other than giving it a new air—literally—a little pot of ferns and succulents also work wonders for your creativity. Nothing freshens the mind better than a slice of nature!
Ready to build your home office? Cop off these looks:
A retro chic home office with DIY shelving
This straightforward desk space is perfect for writers
This black wall works wonders! It makes pictures pop out and is perfect for designers
A desk by the window and a plant nearby makes gives this home office a breezy feel. Plus, it saves energy by making use of natural lighting.
Cool, clean colours make this Scandinavian inspired home office perfect for the imaginative business owner
Like our tips? Let us know what you think of our home office recommendations by commenting below!
Images via FSV Home Office Pinterest board.